According to the company, OPTIM has demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to novel coronavirus on hard non-porous surfaces and non-invasive medical devices.
SciCan announced that its OPTIM cleaner and disinfectant product has demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to novel coronavirus on hard non-porous surfaces and non-invasive medical devices.
The coronavirus, or COVID-19, is part of a family of viruses that can cause a range of illnesses from the common cold to SARS and MERS.
OPTIM meets the requirements of the EPA’s emerging viral pathogens claim and Health Canada’s Broad Spectrum Virucide claim for the emerging pathogens and the European CEN’s overview standard EN 14885 and virucidal standard EN 14476.
OPTIM Blue and OPTIM 33TB have a 1-minute virucidal contact time. OPTIM 1 has a 30-second virucidal contact time, according to a press release from the company. This means that the surface must remain wet for only 1 minute in order to inactivate viruses including novel coronavirus.
OPTIM instructions for use are as follows:
Before using OPTIM in your office for the very first time, remove any residue left on surfaces from your previous disinfectant by washing all surfaces with soap and warm water. Thoroughly dry them.
1. To use OPTIM wipes, pull out a pre-moistened wipe at a 45-degree angle and close the lid.
2. When using the Ready-to-Use OPTIM liquid, spray the solution onto a SciCan Dry Towelette.
3. Wipe the surface down evenly and thoroughly to clean and disinfect. Evenly apply to surfaces to avoid any unnecessary pooling.
4. Be sure to leave the surface wet for the contact time indicated on the label.
5. When using any disinfectant on surfaces, it is best practice to periodically rinse and dry the surfaces with soap and water. Our recommendation is to do this at least once a week.